What vehicle could this be from??

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here

What vehicle could this be from??

Postby VCA11 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi,

I found this in a field with a front and rear axle and with an offset chain drive which probably indicates a rear engine. The car had 4 springs front to back. Any ideas appreciated.

Cassel
Attachments
IMG_4543.JPG
STEERING COLUMN
IMG_4544.JPG
VCA11

Re: What vehicle could this be from??

Postby FullerMetz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:35 am

Better pictures of this could help. Is that a badly bent steering wheel there? Does it appear to have maybe had a brass casting with wood pieces attached around it? How many spokes? It looks like maybe there are only three spokes? That would be very unusual, although Saxon used a three spoke wheel in the mid '10s (I do not think this is that late). Holes for rivets in the outer rim area? What is that other brass casting leaning against the wheel? And what does the lower end look like? How does it connect to work the steering?
It does look like an interesting piece.
FullerMetz

Postby EJohnson » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:20 pm

That steering column is from an early Rambler.

I'll let the Rambler experts pinpoint the year.
EJohnson

Postby Ben Popadak » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Hello VCA11,

I'm interested in your Rambler pieces. Would you please contact me through Private Message by clicking on my name.

Thank you, Ben
Ben Popadak

Postby Ben Popadak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:47 pm

Talked with the gentleman with the steering column and last time I talked with him he was still trying to figure out what he had.

The Model E Rambler was a 1903 model. Ramblers were redesigned for 1904 but the Model E got carried over into early 1904, maybe to use up existing parts.
The 1904 Model E used the open differential 1904 rear axle but continued to use the 1903 tiller steering unless you paid for a 1904 steering column for an extra $25.

Enclosed is an old photo of part of my Model E project(s). If anybody had a Rambler steering column and rear axle, they would be wonderful additions. Other Rambler parts might also help.

Thank you,
Ben Popadak
Attachments
ramblerbones1.jpg
DSCN1898.JPG
Ben Popadak

Return to Automotive Discussions