Race of the century Hcca cars race across the USA

Share photos, videos, schedules and your experience touring in Brass-Era autos

Race of the century Hcca cars race across the USA

Postby AlanTravis » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:26 pm

Check out the just announced "Race of the Century" . It was announced last Tuesday and already has
Had enough people to enter to fill about 1/3 of the available spots. The Event is for pre 1917 automobiles only.The event is being organized by the" Motorcycle cannonball" promoter who has put on 3 successful cross country competitions for antique motorcycles .
I rode my 1914 excelsior board track racer on the first one and finished over 3000. Miles with about
40 pre 1916 motorcycles.
Our club has been trying to promote our hobby and get new, younger people involved. An event like this is a
Very powerful statement to how useful and exciting our cars are. Please enter your most exciting car or have your
Region support the racers as they pass by.
The website is century race.com .
AlanTravis

Good topic to bring up.

Postby jeff deringer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:29 pm

Ever since I was a little kid touring with my parents, I can remember people in the various clubs saying "we need to get more young members". As a member of a local HCCA club with an aging membership, this topic comes up from time to time as well. Although I'm 50, I'm still called one of the "kids" of the group, along with the actual kids I grew up touring with. I have 3 small children and take them on tours when we can make it. I thought now would be a good time to point out a few things clubs could do that they currently don't to increase the odds of attracting and keeping younger members.

* Don't schedule tours from Monday-Friday when they could be done on say, Thursday night or Friday through Sunday. It may be great for retired people to tour in the middle of the week when there is less traffic, but good luck telling your wife you're going to take 1/2 of your allotted vacation for the year to go on a car tour!

* Don't schedule your big club tour after school is back in. This shouldn't need any explanation.

* Don't schedule day tours to locations that do not allow kids, or are not kid friendly.

* Don't be militant on period dress. You may love doing it. Great! Some don't, especially if they have to dress the kids. I know you did it and made it work, but not everyone wants to.

* Relax the standards your club may have concerning years of cars allowed. You most likely would attract more young members if they could get in with a 40's car instead of a Pre-32 or even 16. Maybe they'll end up buying a brass car because the were exposed to them due to owning a 47 Chevy.

Just my $.02 as someone who has been touring for 45 years.
jeff deringer

Re: Race of the century Hcca cars race across the USA

Postby AlanTravis » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:10 pm

Many more of our antique cars are owned by young people than the older hobbyist .
They may have gotten many of them handed to them but the cars are just dormant.
They may not be inspired to learn about their cars just to go picnicking or Parading.
What they may need for inspiration is a race across the ......... I started with brass cars
In the 1980's after hearing about racing them. I have had a wonderful hobby life
With them for 30 years. I just started driving in small tours and picnics a couple years ago.
I never toured the first 25 years in the hobby, we competed.
Competing with them on the roads is where it is at!!!!
AlanTravis

Swell.

Postby jeff deringer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:16 pm

I'm sure most people can take 3 weeks off, just not me. Good luck.

And FYI, tours aren't parades and picnics. I hate parades. But I do love cold fried chicken fwiw.
jeff deringer

Return to Tour and Swap Meet Discussions