2015 Eastern National 1&2-Cylinder Tour

Share photos, videos, schedules and your experience touring in Brass-Era autos

2015 Eastern National 1&2-Cylinder Tour

Postby oldcarfudd » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:16 am

Tour directors Andy and Tricia Wallace kicked off this year’s eastern national 1&2 by inviting everyone to a Sunday evening party at their home. We were treated to live music, a cookout with wine and beer, a stroll through the Wallaces’ extensive collection, and a chance to mingle with friends old and new. Despite the sultry weather and threatened thunderstorms, a REO, a Maxwell and a Cadillac made the 15-mile round trip. Everyone else went modern, and no one got wet.

IMG_1767.JPG
Cookout at the Wallaces' home.

This 1&2 almost had an auxiliary Model T tour. Andy and Marcia Poma had intended to bring their Maxwell, but it wasn’t ready, so they came “modern” in a Model T. Skip Carpenter harrumphed. But before the week was out, several primitive vehicles (including Skip’s newly-restored Model C Buick) had Failed To Proceed, and two of them (not Skip’s) were replaced by Model Ts. On a big car tour, there are usually plenty of back seats for people who suffer breakdowns. But a lot of 1&2 cars don’t have back seats, and the ones that do sometimes struggle in hilly country with a full load; hence the Ts. And yes, there were hills! The eastern national 1&2 is getting a well-deserved reputation as a hilly tour. The last four, in western Pennsylvania, New York, Maine, and now northwestern New Jersey, have had serious vertical undulations. Despite that, the Failures To Proceed on this tour were due to bad coils, stuck valves, and carburetor problems. Any car that was running properly conquered the hills, although a bit of patience was sometimes in order.

IMG_1817.jpg
The Jones Yale, with atmospheric intake valves, teaches patience on hills.

Some folks came from a long way off. Wade and Jeanne Smith brought a very advanced 1905 2-cylinder, 3-speed Columbia all the way from San Antonio, Texas.

IMG_1772.JPG
Wade Smith's Columbia (headlamp removed for safekeeping) gets ogled.

But they were mere locals compared with Loretta and Gavin Mutton from Queensland, Australia. When they were in the U.S. two years ago, the Muttons bought a Maxwell. Steve Bono stores it for them and fettles it when they come over for a tour. Steve’s own REO needed serious fettling this year, too; the cylinders froze and cracked in our recent brutal winter, but Steve got them fixed and the car ran fine.

Tim Kelly arrived with a l-o-n-g trailer with his 6-cylinder Model K Ford in it. Would he also go “modern”? Would he disable four cylinders? He would not. He also had a Model A Ford. (A WHAT?? A Model A. You know, the little 1904 2-cylinder chain-drive runabout. Oh, THAT Model A.) It was only 4 days from finishing its restoration. Tim had brought his restorer to act as mechanician, to fix the problems that would inevitably arise on a brand-new restoration. Yes, it needed some tinkering, but it made all the hills, by golly. After our tour, Tim was heading for the Early Ford Registry tour and the New London-New Brighton. Which car would he drive on the main, 120-mile event? “I don’t know yet – let’s see what’s still running.”

IMG_1782.JPG
Denise and Joel Smith's Stanley, Gil Fitzhugh's Cadillac, Tim Kelly's Ford

IMG_1801.jpg
Tim Kelly and restorer/mechanician Walter Higgins in Tim's Ford

Another new-to-us car was the 2-cylinder, 3-speed Maxwell touring car brought by Dianne Taylor and David Young. This was their first national HCCA tour, though they often tour with VMCCA.

IMG_1781.JPG
The Young/Taylor and Mutton Maxwells.

Monday was a hot, steamy day. We were glad the morning stop was a tour of a historic nickel mine; it was quite cool underground. Five miles down the road I encountered Skip Carpenter and Steve Cook in Skip’s Buick, which had a stuck valve. I schlepped Skip back to his trailer; he and Steve took the Buick to the afternoon stop at Mark Conforth’s restoration shop, where they reamed the valve guide a skosh. (But not, unfortunately, the valve guide on the other cylinder, which hung up the following day.) Mark and Carolyn tour in a mostly original Model F Buick with a period accessory 2-speed rear axle – no hill worries for them! I had a Failure Of The Nut That Holds The Wheel. My fuel mixer needle stuck. I fixed it, but then arrived at Mark’s shop without my rear deck lid, which I’d left against a bush. Helen and Lee Turner and granddaughter Madison pulled up in their REO, holding my deck lid, thus saving me a retrieve. Many thanks!

Tuesday’s 66-mile run, the longest, included 8 miles of one-way, one-lane road through Stokes State Forest. Mostly deep woods but with some scenic overlooks. We crossed into Pennsylvania and visited Milford, a historic and scenic village. We had a good catered lunch at the Waterwheel Café, in a still-functioning mill. There were two historic homes, now museums, to visit. One has a flag that was in Ford’s theater the night Lincoln was assassinated, and was used to cradle the President’s head as he lay dying.

IMG_1775.JPG
The Bonos arrive at a coffee stop in their REO.

IMG_1777.JPG
The Risings arrive at a coffee stop in their Cadillac.

IMG_1776.JPG
The Dyers in their Maxwell.

There have been a lot of stories recently about police officers who forget their job is to serve. Civilians sometimes forget that many policemen really DO serve. The Wallace Buick developed a bad coil deep in Stokes State Forest. A policeman pushed the Buick to a safe place, radioed for a park ranger to guard it, and drove Tricia and Andy home to get their trailer. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to Jeanne and Wade Smith, their Columbia had shed the whole front of one of its brass headlamps. The same policeman found it, fortunately intact, and delivered it to the hospitality room that evening. Thumbs up, hats off and many thanks to Rob Sikora of the N.J. State Park Police!

Those who think the only jungles in N.J. are of the urban variety will be surprised to learn that the Kelly Ford’s path was blocked by a mature male black bear on Wednesday. There was no way Tim could outrun it. Fortunately the bear perceived neither the Ford as a threat nor Tim as a meal, so it eventually ambled off the road. Just then Jeanne and Wade Smith motored by, having missed all the potential drama.

The rest of us got some jungle, too, but it was enclosed. We went to Space Farms Museum and Zoo. Nothing to do with NASA – the guy who put it all together was a Mr. Space. But there were elk and bears and llamas and bison and tigers – tigers? For real? Yes, indeed, including a couple of 10-day-old cubs. The best photo I could get of a cub was through glass, but he was still cute.

IMG_1791.JPG
Some of N.J.'s world-renowned ferocious wildlife.

There were also horse-drawn carriages, old farm machinery, old cars – even some 2-cylinder brass! - quite an eclectic collection. On the way to Space Farms we visited a fine old home and had a catered lunch at a neat pub. That evening the hotel provided pizza, wine and beer.

IMG_1795.JPG
The Bono and Turner REOs.

About a half-century ago, the Feds decided to dam part of the Delaware River for flood control and to create a recreational area for water sports. They condemned the land, tore down a lot of the buildings, threw out all the people – and never built the dam. The old roads and a couple of small villages remain, and the touring is delightful. Thursday we went there, had a picnic, and visited what was left of one of the villages. By then the weather had cooled off, and the touring was glorious the rest of the week. The Mutton Maxwell’s carby – gotta learn to speak Oz - decided to come loose from the intake manifold, causing a temporary Failure To Proceed, but it was soon fixed.

IMG_1799.jpg
The Mutton Maxwell in need of some help.

IMG_1806.jpg
Marcia Rising and Susan Lehtola chat while others fix the Mutton Maxwell.

That afternoon, back in the trailer parking lot, 13-year-old Madison Turner got some REO driving lessons from Grandpa. Maddy was also pleased to learn that the Conforths’ 13-year-old grandson, Mark, would be at Friday’s banquet.

IMG_1820.jpg
Madison Turner drives the REO while Grandpa Lee coaches.

Denise and Joel Smith had brought their Stanley, which chuffed fairly contentedly the first two days. Then their pilot light gave up the ghost, and no imprecations or maledictions would fix it. Discouraged, they went modern Wednesday and Thursday – truck modern, not Model T modern. Friday was the shortest day, only 40 miles, so I gave my Cadillac the day off and fished my Stanley out of my trailer. The Smiths and I drove it all day. A couple of times it acted up, just to keep us from getting too complacent, but mostly it ran fine. And it totally flattened the hills. The principal destination was a snowmobile museum. I doubt the Aussies had ever seen one snowmobile, and here were a couple of hundred of them. We also went antiquing, and had lunch at a good restaurant overlooking a lake.

IMG_1812.JPG
Gil Fitzhugh's Stanley parked at the snowmobile museum.

That night we had a cocktail party and banquet in town. Next year’s 1&2, we were told, will be in mid-September near Niagara Falls. Bob Barrett has agreed to be tourmaster. I hope he has some hills for us!

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder
oldcarfudd

Re: 2015 Eastern National 1&2-Cylinder Tour

Postby FullerMetz » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:03 pm

Wonderful! GFtE, a great tour report as usual. Thank you. Excellent photos of some really beautiful cars. Tim K's new model A looks great! All the cars look fantastic.
FullerMetz

Postby oakland12 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:56 pm

You're making want to get a 2 cyl so I can attend one of these tours. Thanks for the great write up.
Ken
oakland12

Postby oldcarfudd » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:21 am

Ken, just get a single. It's all you'll ever need. If you have two cylinders, there's twice the risk one will stop working!

Gil the Elder
oldcarfudd

Return to Tour and Swap Meet Discussions