2016 Jersey Shore Tour

Share photos, videos, schedules and your experience touring in Brass-Era autos

2016 Jersey Shore Tour

Postby oldcarfudd » Wed May 11, 2016 6:27 pm

For 24 years, New Jersey’s touring season has opened with a 3-day event at the seashore for primitive cars: 1-and 2-cylinder cars, very early fours, and steamers. The usual venue has been either Ocean Grove, an old Methodist revival-meeting town on the northern part of the coast, or Cape May, at the very southern tip of the state. Distances are short, off-season shore traffic is light, off-season hotel prices are reasonable, fine restaurants are easy to get into, and the terrain is mostly flat.

Until this year, Bob and Louise Nunnink have been the tourmasters and hosts. Their shoes are now ably filled by John and Joyce Rendemonti, who seem eager to do it well into the future. We stayed at the Ocean Plaza Hotel in Ocean Grove; it has a wrap-around porch on the second floor for schmoozing. We had one three-generation family: Howard Schaevitz, his wife Gail, his son Harold, his daugher-in-law Chen Xin, and (the star of the show!) his Energizer-Bunny granddaughter Eva.

Since I had a prior commitment, Joan and I didn’t arrive until after Thursday’s warm-up tour to the lighthouse in Sea Girt. But the local newspaper did an excellent write-up, with much better pictures than usual. Here’s a link:

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/20 ... house.html

Thursday evening we all ate at a German Bierhalle in neighboring Asbury Park, a pleasant walk or short ride away.

Rain and high wind began about midnight and continued well into Friday morning. After breakfast, Joan and I dressed in thermal underwear, heavy sweaters, and full rain gear. We went out to our trailer, unhitched it, and went modern. As did everyone else except Ed Bitten and Donna Whitlinger, who drove their 1950’s 1-cylinder Isetta – and had a 10-mile detour to avoid a flooded road that would have drowned their minicar. Next year their 1904 A/C Ford will be finished, and they can go modern in lousy weather, just like the rest of us. Destination was Twin Lights, a pair of retired lighthouses that used to (starting in 1828, upgraded in 1862) provide navigational guidance for ships entering New York harbor. Lots of interesting history here: first Fresnel lenses in the US (1841), first public recital of the Pledge of Allegiance (1893), Marconi’s first ship-to-shore wireless transmission (1899), and early radar experiments (1935). Lunch was at a fine seafood restaurant overlooking the ocean. On the way home we stopped to take a picture of the rough ocean, and got windblown sand in our hair.

IMG_0823.JPG
Believe it or not, a bit further down the beach we saw fishing boats out in this!

After naps and schmoozing, we went various places for dinner; Joan and I ate superbly at Moonstruck in Asbury Park. What’s that? You say this must have been a food-centered tour? Wherever would you get a silly idea like that?

Saturday morning had enough heavy mist to tarnish all the brass, but turned to be quite a pleasant touring day. We went to see John Blewitt’s eclectic collection of cars, trucks, and related toys like pedal cars.

IMG_2120.JPG
John Blewitt has big cars - - -

IMG_0829.jpg
- - - and little cars!

IMG_0832.JPG
Old and new tourmasters' rides: Nunnink's Olds and Rendemonti's Franklin

photo 3.JPG
Michael Romano's REO Gentleman's Roadster, formerly Art Wilkinson's

photo 2.JPG
Another fine REO

IMG_2112.JPG
A REO, the Bitten/Whitlinger Isetta, and the Fitzhughs' Cadillac

Lunch – that dreaded f-word again! – was at a good diner where we awed the other patrons.

IMG_2123.jpg
Here's a rare one - Jay and Carol Simpson's Crestmobile.

IMG_2121.JPG
Joe and Brenda Henshaw's Buick

IMG_2122.JPG
Andy and Tricia Wallace's Maxwell

On the way home we visited a collection of small museums, the biggest of which traced the history of electric and electronic communications. There was a lot on early radio and TV, and some hands-on toys to play with. There was also a small but well-done history of major shipwrecks in the area, including the Titanic, the Morro Castle, and the ship my family would have been on in 1956 if my father hadn’t needed to change our reservations – the Andrea Doria. Conversation, adult beverages, and pizza on the porch wrapped up a great tour.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder
oldcarfudd

Re: 2016 Jersey Shore Tour

Postby cudaman » Thu May 12, 2016 6:09 am

Great pictures, thanks for posting them! :)
cudaman

Postby Bharper » Thu May 19, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi Gil,

I always enjoy your tour reports and all of the photographs. Thank you for taking the time to write and to take pictures.

When the planets align and I can get one of those early cars.....................

Best Regards,
Bill Harper
Keene, New Hampshire
Bharper

Postby FullerMetz » Fri May 27, 2016 10:37 pm

Thank you again Gil. Another wonderful report and great pictures of fantastic cars!
FullerMetz

Postby romanze7 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:45 am

This is the best classic car.
maxbet
romanze7

Return to Tour and Swap Meet Discussions