Hello Horseless Carriage Community Copper & Brass protection

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages

Hello Horseless Carriage Community Copper & Brass protection

Postby SlowRide66 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:01 pm

Hello .
My Name is Rob I am A high end Detailer in South Florida I do not own a Horseless carriage but I do work on Older cars& motorcycles. A good freind suggested I come to the "Brass Car world about A situation I have.

I am Detailing a Replica Harley Davidson 1915 Board Tracker .that has RAE copper & copper plating . In my 1t attempt to preserve the metal I used a Ceramic Nano coating that failed. 2nd attempt I am using a Coating designed for metal specifically aluminum wheels . I have great success with the aluminum. I purchased a Starter kit of Protecta clear . but being the perfectionist I am I tested it on other pieces first.

I did not like how the Protecta clear made it look less brilliant so I am conducting a time/weather study myself, But I would still like to learn if there is a better solution.

Thank You all in Advance

ROB AKA Slowride66
Attachments
20170316_085650.jpg
20170316_085302.jpg
20171206_155208.jpg
SlowRide66

Re: Hello Horseless Carriage Community Copper & Brass protec

Postby davewhite » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:58 am

Rob,
I used to use a Rustoleum product called Clear Seal that did a good job. I have a copper fire extinguisher lamp I did over 40 years ago and it is still shiny. Of course, Clear Seal is no longer available. They now make a product called "Crystal Clear Enamel" that sounds like it may be the same thing. I have not used it, but it might be worth a try. It comes in a spray can, around $8. Info: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal ... ear-enamel I have used Proteca Clear and have noticed some minor "rainbowing" on brass items coated with it. -Dave
davewhite

Postby SlowRide66 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks dave I will have to give that a try.

If you want to see more pictures of it go to www.robharleydetailer.com scroll down on the motorcycles page.
Again thank you very much

Rob
SlowRide66

Postby davewhite » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 pm

Let us know how it works. Another thought is some of the automotive clears. I haven't done that but it might be worth a try. -Dave
davewhite

Return to Restoration Tips & Advice