Stuck Parts: Tips to Loosen Them

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages
MochetVelo

Stuck Parts: Tips to Loosen Them

Post by MochetVelo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:29 pm

There are a number of tricks to remove rusted fasteners. Of course, they don't all work, but perhaps you have a few you can add. I'll start with one;

Removing Stuck Nut From Carriage Bolt

A carriage bolt's square top holds it while you remove the nut... except when it turns freely in the wood along with the nut! A trick here is to drill a hole on the edge of the bolt head and insert a screw down into the wood. This can be enough to hold the bolt still while you turn the nut.

Phil

MochetVelo

Fluids to Loosen Rusted Parts

Post by MochetVelo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Everyone has their favorites: Kroil, WD40, Liquid Wrench, CRC. I personally use both Kroil and CRC. One home-made fluid that has a lot of enthusiasts is 1 part automatic transmission fluid & 1 part acetone. A new product (to me) I just found but haven't yet used is Loctite Freeze & Release. According to the label, it "loosens by shock-freezing to -32 F". You spray it on the part for 5-10 seconds and wait 1-2 minutes. This might be fun to try after heating the part, which also sometimes works.

The thing is, you never really know if the stuff you sprayed on the part really loosened it, or maybe it would have come off anyway. Now that's not the case with a nut splitter!

Phil

ihayhurs

Re: Stuck Parts: Tips to Loosen Them

Post by ihayhurs » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:29 pm

I have been using the ATF/Acetone to disassemble a chassis that went through a fire 10 years ago and sat outside since. I'm very impressed. I put it in a household spray bottle.

MochetVelo

Post by MochetVelo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Another tip for loosening stubborn fasteners: heat the part until just read, then melt in candle wax. Might be worth a try!

Phil

MochetVelo

E-Z Outs

Post by MochetVelo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:25 pm

We all know the "EZ" Out bits that supposedly remove broken screws and bolts:
EZ Out.gif
EZ Out
EZ Out.gif (3.21 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
I've not had a lot of luck with the E-Z Outs, but the "Blue Point" extractors are more positive in action.
Blue Point Extractors.jpg
Blue Point Extractor Set
Blue Point Extractors.jpg (213.01 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
These work by drilling a centered hole into the broken bolt. The round plated pieces in the set are drill guides. You then tap in the extractor pins, which have 6 beads on their circumference. Finally, you drop on the proper nut from the set and unscrew the stuck bolt with a wrench.

Phil

MochetVelo

Post by MochetVelo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Here's a method for removing a broken cylinder head bolt, or similar, if you have access to a MIG or gas welder. The heat itself can aid extraction.

http://modeltengine.com/brokenheadstud.htm

Phil

MochetVelo

Post by MochetVelo » Wed May 02, 2018 1:10 pm

The Mini-Ductor, and induction heater, is available from tool dealers and on eBay. Anyone ever try this tool? Here's a video on it:

https://youtu.be/3ya8fxm89jk

ddunlavy

YouTube video & real life

Post by ddunlavy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:34 am

Just posted a "real life" experience on a thread near this one.
My experience with 300 nipples (on spokes).
https://hcca.org//BOARDS/viewtopic.php? ... 8d7e5539da