Modern Replacement Material for Bakelite

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages
alsfarms

Modern Replacement Material for Bakelite

Post by alsfarms » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:18 am

I am in the process of casting some new Locomobile script radiator caps. I remember reading a very nice article, in the HCCA Gazette, on this very subject. Sadly, I do not recall which issue to look in. I have also tried to search the index, of past Gazettes on this website, with not much luck. Can someone here please refer me to the above mentioned article or scan and email me a copy so I can study the process described and material used. Also if anyone here has had good luck home casting from other materials that can replace Bakelite, please drop a note. I do know of a couple of considerations, one, the material must stand up to at least 220 deg f. and two, the material should have UV tolerance so it can stand up to out door use. I guess the third consideration is ease of mixing, pouring and release from the rubber mold of the original part.
Al
alsfarms@hotmail.com

MochetVelo

Re: Modern Replacement Material for Bakelite

Post by MochetVelo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Here's a discussion on the subject which touts Delrin as a replacement material. You'd need to machine it rather than cast, of course. A CNC machine might do it. My Hupmobile cap is also Bakelite (I think) cast over the brass threaded part.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/184751-bak ... -material/

Phil

MochetVelo

Post by MochetVelo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:17 pm

A little further research shows that Bakelite is still made today. You can check the manufacturers on Thomas Register. I think they also make it in Asia.

https://www.thomasnet.com/products/cust ... 804-1.html

Phil

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:23 pm

The problem with Bakelite is the process involved and heat. A small home shop such as mine does not have the capacity to complete a true Bakelite process. That is the reason for the modern casting substitute. Any other thoughts from this group?
Al